Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Don't worry Lynyrd, help is on the way!

  With the tornados that hit Alabama a few weeks ago my home church decided we should do something to help them. We ended up deciding to send two separate teams to Alabama to help with disaster relief. The first team departed a week ago Monday, and the second crew including myself leave today around 1:00pm. With the other team going up early they were able to line up a bunch of work for us and we will be able to spend more time working than looking for work. Our Sunday school class led a gift-card drive to take with us and my wife also organized a cookie-baking to send cookies up with us. While a gift card and a bag of cookies obviously won't replace someone's home, we hope that we will be able to bring a small amount of joy to them in this horrible time. I ask that you would pray for the community of Rainsville which is where we are going, and also say a prayer for our groups that will be there.


  Going through hurricane Charlie in 2004, my heart breaks for these families in Alabama and now Missouri. I sat and tried to make my mind remember some of the images from 2004, while there was much devastation in our community, it doesn't even compare to what these people have encountered. I wish I was able to just take off and go help in all these places, I would leave from Alabama and go straight to Joplin if I could.

  I will try to keep the blog updated this weekend with the events as they unfold, and I will have pictures and video up as soon as I can. Remember to keep these places in your prayers!

2 comments:

  1. You're awesome! I know you guys are going to be such a blessing to those you encounter!

    ReplyDelete